Thursday, April 16, 2009

Photo printing

I used to have my photos printed at DigitalMax and I was always happy with both the quality and the service. Then DM was bought by SnapFish and I was less than impressed by their service (you may remember my tirade some time back) and I have become increasingly less impressed with the quality of prints. Yesterday morning I did a bit of a search to look for other printing outlets. FrogPrints @ 34 cents a print is almost twice what most of the others charge. I'm not to keen on using the Warehouse Stationery printers as I don't think the quality is good. So that left Harvey Norman (special at the moment 14 cents a print) and Camera House. I had the same photo printed at both places. Camera House 50 cents and matte an extra $2 making my one print $2.50!! The quality of both prints was very similar but clearly the price at Harvey Norman is much better. Bronwyn and I were there preparing for our crop on Saturday and through one thing and another the printing was a bit of a mess and two of the staff members at HN offered to reprint our photos for us! What awesome service! Then I checked the lifespan of their photos - 120 years ... well, that's good enough for me. So now I am a Harvey Norman fan.

Then, I've been doing a bit of research on those page kits and I think I've found the right place: Scrapbook Dreams. Their page kits look like just the kind of thing I want so I may go shopping there as the prices are not too bad either.

8 comments:

topkatnz said...

I'm very happy with HN too ... although Norman Ross is now in ChCh, and although they are the same parent comp .. their prices are better and the quality of printing is fab ... the service is only soso however ...

Kelly said...

I don't think you'll go far wrong with HN. Plus, at the point you select photos, you can opt to print "packages". This is where you can find the wallet sized options (4 ups, 2 ups). And as they are printed on a 6x4, they are the same price as whatever those prints are being offered at. Cool!. Pay the $10 for membership at some point and there are other savings to be made as well.

Trace said...

Yep, another fan of HN here. Also Jenny you'll find Shelley at Scrapbook Dreams wonderful to deal with - she's a fab lady.

Anonymous said...

This is a very informative post, Jenny.

Snapfish is cheap per print and it sounds like you get what you pay for.

So the consensus so far is Harvey Norman. That is good to know.

Irene said...

I know lots of people who use HN but I haven't actually tried them myself. I think they have a VIP club as well.

Excellent find re the page kits, I can see a few there that I could use and very reasonable in price as well.

Lainie said...

That's interesting to know Jenny.

Shelley said...

Hi Jenny :) I use my local chemist as they're part of the 'Memory Bank' group. Excellent service and I usually pay between 15c to 20c for a 6x4 matt or gloss! Thanks for the plug for Scrapbook Dreams kits :) I really appreciate it!

Tracy said...

I am another ex-digitalmax Harvey Norman convert since they opened a store in our suburb its not only cheaper but a whole lot quicker for me :)