Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Grumpy today

I have this Year 10 class that it relatively small but also has some of the laziest kids I have ever come across ......... that's apart from the noisy, disruptive, won't do their homework types.

Today I kept two girls after school because they would not stop talking and giggling while I was talking. One of them I kept last week because she hadn't done her homework. The next thing I see she's talking to her mother on the cell-phone, "I don't know why I'm being kept in." I said I'd talk to the mother and explained about the noisy, disruptive, rude behaviour. The mother told me I should give notice when I'm going to keep her darling daughter in - when they enrol at the college the parents sign that their children can be kept up to half an hour without any prior notice. I have explained to my two junior classes that they will be kept in on a Tuesday if they don't do as expected - so why don't they just do their homework and behave in class? Then there's no problem with them staying in.

Then the mother started on about how her darling daughter gets "picked on" about homework. Well, I nearly said to her, "Be glad that the teacher cares enough to check your daughter's homework every day"

Sometimes I wonder why I bother; I have a sick child at home (Ross) and I'd rather be at home looking after him than dealing with someone else's spoilt brat. And quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn about other people who clearly don't care about their children. I am done with checking homework

8 comments:

Penny said...

sounds like a spoiled brat to me...

Sharlene Meyer said...

I cannot believe parents stand up for their kids who are being right little brats, and you absolutely should not have to put up with it.

Mrs Frizz said...

Snotty child ... I most definitely wouldn't be putting up with it either! Sounds like she needs to lose a rather big ATTITUDE as well.

Unknown said...

Well we know where the daughter gets her attitude from.

I applaud you for being a teacher I just wouldn't have the patience to put up with that kind of crap.

Unknown said...

I forgot to say, I hope Ross is better now.

Gretchyn said...

So interesting to me to see this behavior is taking place all over the world. Good to know it isn't just here in Michigan? :)

Jenny said...

Thanks for the support and thanks Gretchen for visiting - yes I do believe that it's world ide and that e are the poorer for it

Shelley said...

I had the same problem with homework last term Jenny! This term almost everyone is completing their homework each week... the reason... only those who do ALL their homework are having pizza for lunch on the last day of term... it's amazing how much homework my class have done for a few slices of pizza! p.s. The kids have to pay $2 and I offset the rest of the cost... shouldn't be too much with the Dominos deals out at the moment LOL