Monday, September 29, 2008

Home again!

Colin that is! he's so pleased to be home, but at the same time couldn't sleep last night because he was thinking about what he was leaving behind.

I drove up to National Park on Saturday and it was such an easy drive (hubby and my mom were worried about me driving by myself). We went to Owhango which is about 30 kms north of NP where our friends have a house. Yesterday, Colin and I went photo shooting and then had some lunch at the Station Cafe (yummy food!)

Colin with Mt Ruapehu in the background
The Chateau is to the left

Me

Colin walking to a patch of snow with Ruapehu in the back

From the Tongariro Crossing road

Just after 7pm on Sunday night
I was hoping for a "pink" mountain but it wasn't to be


Today we headed home but not before Colin had to say, "Goodbye bedroom, goodbye house, goodbye school" etc. And then there were tears when we said goodbye to our friends both from her and Colin (and me too).

Colin has had the most wonderful time there and grown so much and not only physically. He has loved being at school there and the quiet, calm atmosphere that exists; he has loved the challenges of skiing and managed on the last day to do parallel skiing (both skis right next to each other) and has therefore been invited back to join the three day skiing programme next year! I am concerned about how he will fit back into a noisy class with twice as many kids. We are both aware that we will have to do lots of school work after school in order to keep him at the level at which he should be.

We have just finished eating our dinner and he has come upstairs to tell me he's homesick!

4 comments:

Penny said...

Yes - it will be a bit of an adjustment for him! I'll bet you are glad to have him back though.

Roo said...

Oh good to have your baby back but a bummer also that he had to leave it behind. Will he get another chance to go again at all?

Sonya said...

Lifes challenges are never ending are they. You sound like such a great mum that Im sure Colin will settle into the changes with out too much drama. I sure hope so anyway! Enjoy the hoildays and try not to think about next term until you have to!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I wonder if we passed you along the way without realising?