Sunday, June 20, 2010

The shortest day

The Winter Solstice is on June 21 at 18:46 (6:46pm); this is when the Sun is at its most Northerly point in the sky. At the middle of the day on June 21, it reaches its lowest altitude, from the Northern horizon, for the year.
Brian Carter, Senior Astronomer at the Carter Observatory says, “This means that the longest night is June 21/22 and the shortest day is June 21”.

Yay! I know it will still get colder but at least the days will get longer

I also have to check all my form class reports :-( Some people cannot put a sentence together properly and these will go out to the parents! Then I have to write some form teacher comments ... by Wednesday!

Last Wednesday we were so busy! From school, I took Colin to Naenae pool (about 35 minutes away, but more in peak traffic) for his first waterpolo match. I bought take-away roast for Ross and I and came straight back home. We ate and then I took him to the choir concert. In the meantime, Adrian went across to the pool and met Colin at the take-away roast where they ate and then went back to the pool for Colin's second game. We all got home around 9pm.

Soccer yesterday was transferred to way on the other side of Wellington out at Upper Hutt - now that's about a 40 minute drive away and we had to be there at 8.45am! Afterwards I went scrapping but I was so tired I didn't get much done.

We did get most of the fittings for the bathroom replacement today on sale so that was good. And another builder came round today to give us a quote. Hopefully it won't be as astronomical as some of the others have been.

Now, some photos but the light is a bit bad so I'll have to put them up another day

3 comments:

Penny said...

Wish someone had checked Tim's report - had the lose/loose mix up.

Jenny in Durbs said...

Whew you need a rest, not long to go. Winter will be over before you know it at this rate I think time is just flying.

Nicki said...

WoW you sound so busy! Will be nice to have longer days!