Saturday, June 12, 2010

Queen"s Birthday

Last weekend was Queen's birthday so we had the Monday off. Three friends and I went about an hour up the road to Waikanae to spend the weekend scrapping. I was not organised so took almost everything I owned as did the other three - you should have seen the lounge/dining area! We didn't do much on Friday night and on Saturday morning we set off for a couple of shops and lunch out. So four of us setting out ready to ooh and aah over most things, we arrive at the first shop (not very big). No one greeted us even though there was a card class going on. After about 15 minutes, one of them got up and said hullo and that was about it. We decided that our spending there would reflect our welcome - I spent $2. Then we headed half-an-hour up the road to Levin where the welcome there was soooo different! The owner welcomed us as we came in the door and wanted to know where we were from etc. We then went shopping and she was doing great deals for us. I only spent $26 but Helen spent nearly $150 and the other two also spent a bit.


Then we went to a cafe specialising in crepes and had a wonderful lunch. After stocking up on some kindling and firelighters, we headed back. By now, it was getting cloudy and cold so we settled in to scrap ... which we did.

These photos are of the boys the first time we went to the US (remember them, Mels?) in their Star Wars pyjamas


Island "girl" - Ross looking beautiful!


Last year's junior bowls championship


Ross waiting for a cake to come out the oven (I didn't realise quite how skew it is! I'll have to call that a design feature)

Tracy then spent Sunday evening sorting all my paper and cardstock into co-ordinating bundles - what a wonderful job she did! I am very colour-challenged so struggle with this. I did another few, but need to put a couple of photos and some journalling in but I'm pleased with what I've done.

What else? The downstairs bathroom has a great leak in it (actually very small but it's been leaking for ages) ans so the floor and the wall needs replacing. There is water getting into the plug for the tumble drier which means it blows every time it's switched on - I'm waiting for the electrician right now. But the exterior painting is finished and looks wonderful. That's it - no more house painting - we'll move before that happens again.

Three weeks to go until holidays and I really need them. The boys were going to stay up last night to watch the opening of the FIFA world cup but didn't. However, they did record it and watched this morning. Both are very keen and particularly Colin to watch the games, but I think they'll be recording most of them.

That's it for now - hope the photos are bigger

4 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

What a great scrapping weekend love the l/os. The opening ceremony & game was super (I know nothing about soccer !!!) Still a great evening. Leaks are a pain !!!

Melanie said...

LOL - I remember those days so well - precious boys, although a little bigger now. Thanks for allowing me to enlarge the pics, the eyes are getting old.

Mel said...

What a lovely weekend! And good on you for not giving money to shop people who don't have time for you! I totally agree about taping teh World Cup - it is way too late for school nights!

Kelly said...

Hiya! Have been catching up on your posts - I've re-clicked to thefact your updates don't show up in my reader so came to visit. Like the new look you have. Great to see you've been buys scrapping too - and my goodness your foot looks painful! Hope it heals quickly and you get back to normal soon.