Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday

Doj had his operation yesterday morning and the surgery lasted two hours - a long time for even a human! Fortunately it was only neccessary to put a pin into his leg but it is rather a long cut. We saw him yesterday and again this morning and he was so pleased to see us! He was purring and meowing at us. He is unable to walk but was trying to drag himself a bit today. The bandage around his tail is a painkiller patch that dispenses a set amount of pain killer at a set time - really amazing. He is lying on a sheepskin which is on a heated pad - talk about comfort.
The vet told me that mentally he is a very strong cat which is also aiding in his recovery. He will be able to come home on Monday but has to be kept immobile for six weeks ....... how on earth do we tell this jumping, climbing outside cat that he has to stay in a cage 100cm by 60cm by 50cm (40" x 24" x 20") for six weeks!
Now we just hope that he recovers well and doesn't do any damage to it in the recovery time. Thanks to so many of you who have left comments here and/or emailed me - we really appreciate it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh poor kitty!! He must be a very strong cat to go through all that & survive. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Andrea B said...

Oh Jenny I'm so glad puss is okay ... I hate to think what the vet bill is going to be but it'll be worth it. Good luck with keeping him immobile, been there done that with a 6 month old kitten and we had some wars LOL!

Mrs Frizz said...

Yee-ouch!!!

What an absolutely awesome idea on the pain relief thing around puss' tail ... most impressed with that.

Speedy recovery and a relatively pain free recovery as well hopefully! Six weeks is going to be a long time for puss in a cage. Poor thing!

Mind you in saying that ... with the school holidays, someone will be home for the better part of the holidays for company.

So how did you get on with the dog owner???

Anonymous said...

Poor kitty. But great that he a strong cat. Yes like Andrea I immediately saw $signs. Tobyn's little kitten was hit by a car a few years ago and she ended up costing a fair amount. She had to be caged for 6 weeks too, so i can totally appreciate where you are at.

Anonymous said...

I have just caught up on your news, pleased to hear that surgery went well and that Doj is on the road to recovery. What a stressful few days this must have been. I hope you and the family are also feeling better after the last few days. BTW those caskes look good, are you able to share the hummingbird cake recipe?

Trace said...

Oh Jenny I've just caught up on this news. I hope the recovery time goes quickly for both you and him.

Erica said...

Oh poor puss, that's a rather large cut with stitches. Glad to hear he has pain relief, it will be hard trying to get him to stay still but I guess he will not have much room in his cage. Glad he is going to be OK.

Anonymous said...

Doj is doing well now. Having had the operation, I bet he's feeling a bit sorry for himself. It sounds like he is in great hands though - speedy recovery.

Penny said...

So glad he's doing okay! I reckon some of the vet bill should be passed onto the owners of the dog....

Go Doj!!!