Saturday, December 27, 2008

After Christmas

We had a lovely Christmas lunch ... lots of yummy food and even better lots of leftovers so I haven't had to cook yet! Things may change tomorrow, however! This is the boys sitting at their places waiting for lunch.


Boxing Day we did go to the sales and bought a couple of Christmas lights. I couldn't believe how busy the shops were! Even busier than before Christmas. We then came home and decided that it was time to start clearing in order to paint. We had a colour consultant in a few years back and really liked the colours she gave us. We have painted the outside fences and other wood; the bedroom downstairs, the hallway downstairs and the stairwell. The big task, however, is our family room. One of the walls is to be a feature wall, but that meant moving a large wall unit that had to be pulled up over the balcony as it couldn't come up the stairs. Last week we bought a new TV so the decision was to cut the cupboard in half so the TV could sit on the shelf and then put the top half onto the wall. Here you can see the top half on its side on the right of the photo.




The room looks so nice now that we decided not to put the top half back on which meant that the kitchen cupboards had to be reorganised to take the glasses and other stuff. The Sallies have already got two boxes and the third is filling fast! I also have to clean up my "scrap heap" in order to paint. I have so much stuff that I need to throw out stuff, sell some of it on TradeMe including lots of books; and the rest I have no idea how to get rid of it! Any suggestions gratefully received. The TM stuff I will load on Sunday night. I need to hold a garage sale for my excess scrapbook stuff! I have decided that I'm not going to buy anything extra until I use up some of what I have. That includes the lovely kits I've been getting monthly, but I just can't justify spending money on it anymore. In that regard, the only things I am going to buy are some vertical storage folders so that I can SEE my cardstock - maybe that way I'll use it.

Any suggestions for neat, compact, tidy storage will also be gratefully received ..... or even better come and tidy up for me! In fact, maybe I can make this a competition and find some things to send people who can give untidy-me some really good ideas!

6 comments:

Lara said...

funny...about the tidying it for you...others would throw out stuff you find necessary! to get rid of...you could just donate stuff to a womens refuge or refugee centre or make up little packs and donate to the same or sell at a fair or market day (the boys could do the selling and make some money?) or just recycle... that's for the paper stuff anyway. for the rest I'd go the TM route...but I'm normally too lazy and take pizza boxes with stuff I haven't used in ages to crops...and people love going through it seeing what they would use and taking it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas Jenny!
I would love to come & help you organise you space :-)

Penny said...

We are in the same boat with painting our bedroom... but it's on the project plan for Feb. I can't wait any longer! LOL!

Wish I could help with the scrapping tidying, it's always much more fun tidying someone elses. I recently got a book out of the library on organising scrap supplies and it had some interesting ideas. I've found my black cubes from plastic box quite handy.

As for the excess, I gave a bunch of stuff to the kindy to cut up and use - they were delighted. School seems to appreciate things like that too. You could try freecycling it too, I imagine there would be folks who'd use it. Or, send it all to Trina to send to Southern Cross Kid's Camp so the folks can use it there.

Trace said...

Hmmm I don't envy you sorting through your scrap stuff! If you can't get hold of the CH vertical storage - Spotlight have vertical storage for sale - two for twenty dollars - they are in brown with spots on them - they have totes etc to match as well...but then your not spending more money LOL!

Jenny said...

Thanks, All; I think sending some stuff to Trina may be a good idea. I'll ask her if she can use it

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are going to have fun having a good old declutter there. I need to do it around here too so will be keeping an eye on the suggestions you get :)