Sunday, August 24, 2008

What a weekend

On Saturday Adrian and Ross went to football (the first match in eight weeks) and I stayed home to get ready for our visitors. I cooked a pumpkin soup (which wasn't great) and I also made two loaves of bread that I put in the oven when my Mom came. Thank goodness she was watching, as the silicon mat that my bread was on was touching an element and caught fire in the oven! I don't have a fire extinguisher (on the list now) so I switched off the oven at the wall and hoped that the fire would die because of a lack of oxygen. No such luck - it got bigger so I opened the oven door and smothered the flames with my towel. In the meantime, the smoke alarm went off. Anyway, I sorted all that out, and put my bread back into the oven and it came out fine albeit covered in a bit of ash.

The lunch was fine; the party guests arrived and had fun. The pizza dinner was great as was the chocolate mousse. Colin and I spent a fair amount of time chatting about National Park and how he was enjoying being there ... but missing us. All the boys went to sleep downstairs and were asleep by 11pm - not too bad.

I got up this morning and started preparing and cooking the pancakes and at 9.08am, a father phoned and said he was on his way to pick up his son then. I was a bit taken aback as it was news to me that the boy was going that early and said so. "Oh well", said the dad, "I'll be there in fifiteen minutes then"! I got them all breakfasted by then and sent said boy away with two pancakes in a serviette!

Then came time to take Colin back to Levin and he fell apart saying that he did not want to go. I knew it was emotions and tiredness speaking as he had had two late nights and two early mornings and he cannot cope without enough sleep (wonder who he takes after!) He cried all the way to Levin and at one point I told him that I would be failing in my duty as a mother if I allowed him to give up now. Well, he finally got out of the car and they left at 3.20pm. By the time they got to Taihape he had forgiven me and spent the rest of the journey texting me.

I would love to just tell him to stay home, but that is not the best thing for him right now. He must finish what he started - we have always insisted on that, but I know that if he was in any danger whatsoever, I would fetch him home immediately. But he isn't in danger, and he is enjoying himself very much - he just misses us. And I understand - he's only 12 after all.

He only had five weeks to go and he is learning so much and enjoying himself with all the nature surrounding him - he will come home a stronger person

Edited Monday morning: Colin phoned this morning - he slept well, is feeling fine apart from a cold, but "luckily I bought some Vitamin C at New World last night and I'll be mad if I can't ski this week"! So he's fine

4 comments:

Trace said...

Jenny you must be feeling exhausted. Those five weeks will just fly by for him - how hard for you leaving him when he was upset, good on you for being able to follow through, because your so right, once tiredness kicks in, nothing in the world seems right.

Penny said...

what a weekend alright! glad the bread didn't get too singed but scary stuff.

I do feel for you and Colin. It's tough on both sides but I do agree one needs to follow through with commitments. [hugs}

Anonymous said...

Yikes - definitely an emotional roller coaster there for you and Colin. Good on you for ensuring he went back even though I'm sure it was hard.

Glad the bread was OK - I was imagining burnt out kitchen and all!!

Lainie said...

Definitely one of those weekends.
My eyes puddled for you both when Colin said he didn't want to go. It must've been sooo hard for you, I don't know if I could've been as strong. Good on you Mum.