Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How I see NCEA results

For those of you who have said you don't know; and for those of you who do - feel free to add your comments!

Basically there are Achievement Standards and Units Standards. US have been around for ages so I'm not going there. Some AS are internally assessed and some are externals - the externals are the exams at the end of the year.

There are four possible results: N, A, M, E
Not Achieved
Achieved
Achieved with Merit
Achieved with Excellence

If a student gets sufficient number of Achieved and Merit results the final result in a paper is M. If there are insufficient A results but there are some M results, these M results are converted to A and the final result is A.

A student cannot get an M or E without an A so it's really important that they can do the basics.

From what I have seen, it's not hard to get an A. An M takes some effort and an E is designed to make the bright kids think.

Personally, I quite like it

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Thanks Jenny!! You explained to me in a couple of sentences what the school still hasn't made very clear.

Krystal is doing NCEA this year and it's taking me a lot of understanding to 'get it' so THANKS :)

Anonymous said...

I agreee that is the most easiest explanation for this that I have seen. Now I finally understand it.

Penny said...

It's an interesting assessment model - I should like to look into it more I think. It appears to me that there is no "middle/average" sort of grade but is that true? Or is one forced to mark so that they have to be in achieved or merit? We looked at assessment briefly in a Teaching Adults course I did so the process intrigues me.

Jenny said...

Achieved/Merit would be "average". Most kids will be getting As with a few Ms in there

Meg said...

So pleased it will be years before I have to try and decipher this system - what was wrong with the old a,b,c etc etc lol!!!

Lainie said...

You and me Meg but Jenny you really explained it so it makes sooo much more sense than it ever did.