Thursday, December 06, 2007

A much better day

After I dropped Colin at his swimming lesson (5.30pm) I went to visit my other Year 10 class who are at camp. Well, my faith is restored! They were so pleased to see me. “Hullo, Miss”, “Hullo Miss”, from all round when they heard my voice. A couple of the girls were talking to me and telling how glad they are that I am their teacher and they really hoped I would be their teacher next year. One of them told me that she had heard that I am very grumpy and mean – “but you’re not Miss – you’re great”. But she did agree that I’m strict and that I have standards. One of the boys kept calling me to watch him doing a forward flip on the trampoline – just like my own kids do – “watch me, mom, watch me”. His mother is dying of cancer and I often get the feeling that he appreciates it when I call him “Michael, my angel” and show that I care about his well-being. I mentioned that some of the other class had been mean to me – “Tell us who Miss, we’ll beat them up”. Can you hear that I feel better? I’m so glad that I spent under an hour with them. And then earlier today, one of the Year 11s that I taught last year, came to me to ask me if ours was one of the houses all lit up – “it looks fantastic, Miss” he said. So yes – a great day today – thanks for all the hugs and well wishes – they paid off.

I got a letter of apology from M and his parents - they have taken his phone from him so I suppose that's better than nothing

4 comments:

Shelley said...

The kids reactions to you arriving at camp shows how much you mean to them Jenny :) Lots of kids really like the structure you seem to be providing and glad to hear that M's parents have done something proactive too!

Yvette said...

So nice to hear you sounding a little better. The kids you visited yesterday make it all worth while. When you know you are making a positive influence in so many kids lives. Go Jenny.
Glad to hear that M's parents are taking a good stand, confiscating the phone.

Tracy said...

Great to hear you are feeling better, ugly behaviour like you have been a victim of is a sign of an unhappy child and not a reflection of you. It's so nice to hear you have such an appreciative bunch of kids who are your biggest fans!

Penny said...

Good - I'm glad there are other kids in your school who are decent. I am glad M's phone has been confiscated.. the least they can do.