Sunday, June 23, 2013

And another!

New Zealand was warned about a cold front approaching. Wellington got winds - really, really strong and heavy rain on Thursday night. Around 8.30pm our power went out. Ross was at work delivering pizzas. Colin and I got the candles out and eventually showered and went to bed as the power had still not come back on. I woke often during the night because of the wind, to check if the power was back on and to check my cell phone as I was worried I would not wake up to go to school. I did wake and headed straight to the shower. As I got out, Colin called to tell me that school had been cancelled for the day. A few minutes later we heard a loud shrieking noise that appeared to be coming from our old, unused gas heater. We also smelled gas. I opened windows even though it was only 11°C inside. I dialled 111 and asked for their help. The told me that they would send a fire appliance. It arrived about 7.30am with a wonderful crew  who checked my house and decided to turn off the gas main outside.

In the meantime, Ross went down to the train station to go into Uni as he had an exam. I had just got back in to bed (the warmest place) when he arrived back saying there were no trains, Uni was not cancelled and could I please drive him in to town. What a horrible journey! Rain, wind and lots of traffic. Colin came with me and on the way back, we stopped at the Mall and got hot coffee and food and a hot chicken and bread from the supermarket so we could at least have some decent food during the day.

In the meantime, the plumber had phoned to say that they would get to us as soon as possible. I tried phoning my mom, but her telephone was out. Cell phone batteries were fast going down so Colin and I took turns  charging them in the car. Colin took up residence in the car as it was warm!

Around midday Ross phoned to say that he was on his way home and I went to fetch him at the station. Just as he phoned the power came back on. I dropped him at home and went to check on my mother. They had no power but the staff at the retirement complex had organised hot tea and coffee, toast and soup and everyone was sitting in the main lounge keeping warm. The plumber phoned to day that he was on his way. When he arrived he found there was a leak in the gas pipe going to the hot water cylinder and because there is an open flame there, we could have gone "boom" at any time! Scary stuff. They fixed that and soon the heating was going
Outside my icing teacher's studio
 
 





 

What a terrible day! It was the worst storm in 40 years and I was very stressed by it all. I did sleep extremely well on Friday night! I am so grateful to the fire service, the linesmen and the plumbers!

I'm sorry that the photos are all over the place - I can't be bothered fiddling with them to get them straight! The views are from around my suburb

1 comment:

Jenny in Durbs said...

I am just so glad you are all safe. It must have been daunting. Love & hugs from Durban - ps I won't complain about our wind anymore after seeing that.