Saturday, March 12, 2011

Out of hospital but not home

After three weeks of not wonderful nursing, my dad is out! We had looked at numeorus places and our fist choice was Longview in Tawa but he was third on the waiting list. Some of the "nursing" left much to be desired - they would hand out pills and change a dressing (screwing up their noses in distaste) but that was all. There was no CARE. No one cared if his meals were accessible, no one cared if he was hot or cold - nothing.

On Tuesday, my mom and I were talking on the phone and she asked if we should try Kemp Home which is just a bit further away. I phoned and there was no one there who could talk to me, but we decided to go and look anyway. We were impressed. The next morning (wednesday) the nurse-manager phoned me back to say they had a vacancy and we should come and look. We went on Thursday morning and it looked great. A bit shabby, but friendly staff. In fact, they were so kind to my mom that she broke down and cried. A nurse went to the hospital to assess his needs and on Thursday around 4pm she phoned me to say he could move on Friday.

What a rush! On Thursday night, Adrian and I took a TV, some paintings and books in. We did notice that the room was very sparse. What a difference on Friday! There were curtains up and over the wardrobe, a TV trolley and they had connected and tuned it.

As we arrived we were overwhelmed by the kindness and friendliness. It was just on lunchtime and Mom and I were invited to have lunch. I looked around at how the other residents were being treated - kindly and patiently. My dad was so tired after lunch and probably because he'd seen more people, activity and concern in two hours than the entire three weeks in hospital.

We will go back later to see him, but I am confident that he will be fine. I know that I'm a numbers person - look at this: their address in SA was 108, their first house in NZ was 84, where they currently are in #3 and dad is in room 12! See all those combinations of 12 and 3? I know it will work

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Caring, kind people are just so important when its going to be home and to know that your loved one is not just a number. All the best.

Penny said...

It sounds like a good move Jenny - I'm glad you've found something nice.

topkatnz said...

Hoping you can relax a little now.hugs Hx

mandyb said...

hope it feels like a home for him (as much as it can be!!!)
love that you made his room so homely...am sure he appreciates it!!!

Jenny in Durbs said...

Oh thats good news & the caring is just so important. I am sure it must have reassured your Mom too. Now you can breathe a bit.

Nicki said...

I am glad you have found somewhere caring for him. All the best.

Nicki said...

Great news. Glad you have found somewhere caring for him. All the best.

Mel said...

Great news. Care is much better than flash. My grandmother went into care in her late 80s and although it wasn't her first choice of home she chose not to move to the 'flash' place because of the wonderful care she was getting at the 'shabbier' place. She said "I know what happens here". She even took up indoor bowls there at age 90. As you get older you don't need stuff. You need people.