Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Such sad news

What a dreadful year so far! I suppose dominating the news at the moment is the 6.3 earthquake that rocked Christchurch at lunch time yesterday. Now 6.3 is not that big but it was only 5kms down so the devastation was huge. Many buildings in the city are ruined - how does one clean up the third biggest city in NZ?

Below is a photo of the famous Christchurch Cathedral before yesterday

Now it looks like this
Now because NZ is small, everyone will have friends or relatives down there as do we. All my scrappy friends and their families are safe; some SA friends are also safe. Other people have not been so lucky as currently the death toll is 75 people. How do families come to terms with the loss of their loved ones like that?

Our personal sad news is that my dad is back in hospital and will not be coming home. He can no longer stand or walk and is hallucinating. I just pray that he does not linger on. We will find out on Friday how long the hospital can keep him or we will need to find hospital level care for him. I am stretched to maximum capacity as I'm not sleeping well because I'm constantly aware of where the phone is in case it rings in the middle of the night.

To make matters worse, my husband decided to go to Melbourne for ten days so I am dealing with ALL of this alone!

2 comments:

Penny said...

Oh Jenny - wish there was something I could do to help. :(

Jenny in Durbs said...

Jen just take one day at a time. We miss & love you lots. Prayers & hugs xxx