Sunday, January 10, 2010

Home again

We spent two nights with friends just north of National Park and really needed Saturday to just relax and do nothing. In the late afternoon, I started the project that I took to do on holiday - Adrian's Greek Islands holiday photos from about 1989! I bought some Little Yellow Bicycle paper and matching Bazzill C/S and just worked with that - no matting - just photos and a bit of patterned paper. I'm really pleased at how it's coming together and Adrian is too - so that's the important part! We arrived home today with four wash loads and not-so-nice weather. It was very hard coming home and not hearing, "meow, meow, meow" as we got out the car.

Here are some photos (just 21 of the hundreds I have):
Driving from Thames into Coromandel Town


The boys at wonderful Waiau Waterpark

Us with our arms stretched out round a very old Kauri tree

Cathedral Cove and the beautiful white sand

Hot Water Beach


Then onto Kerikeri ......

The Stone Store


Cape Reinga (simply magical)

Manogonui fish and chip shop :-(


Hole-in-the-Rock ... yes boats sail through there


The drive-on-drive off ferry from Opua (Paihia) to Russell


Pompallier (original Catholic printing house in Russell)

The original (and still used) police station in Russell


Okiato - the original capital of NZ just outside Russell


The train that goes down the centre of State Highway !1 through Kawakawa and yes, all the cars have to wait!
The Hundtwasser toilets


A view of the Hokianga harbour mouth


Tane Mahuta (God of the Forest - a 2000 year old kauri tree)
Waitangi - the flagstaff where the Treaty was first signed

The Governor's House at Waitangi

The Marae on the Waitangi Treaty grounds
One of the caves at Waitomo

And here she is .... Sally! She loved to sit on my desk on my tool bag. I miss her sooo much

7 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Very regal cat, you must have a litle hole in your heart. Fabulous photos I love them. Looks like such fun !!! Such a lot of scrapping to be done LOL. BTW just finished my first Senz l/o properly the summer is fun one !!!
Have a fantastic week.

Penny said...

great photos. I really liked Cape Reinga too - we want to go back and stay for a few more days in the camp ground round the corner from it. I also love the history of the Bay of Islands.

Now you've been to the Hundertwasser toilets your bathroom experience will never be the same! ;)

Hope the album is going along. My sister is in Greece at the moment.

Angela said...

Wow, what a great time away you've had. Lots of neat photos, are you going to do a separate album, or will those pages slot in with the rest of them.

So sorry to hear about Sally. We will be facing the same situation shortly, Rocky our nearly 17yr is fading too.

I've just been to the 101 Must-Do's, working my way through the list now, not as many as you, but we're getting there.

Mel said...

Love all those photos - I have been to all those places except the Hokianga. Aren't some of them magical?

Sweet photo of Sally - love that you have photos of her.

Lara said...

sorry about Sally.
These images remind me of my trip up there when I was 12. Looks like a lovely time!

Anonymous said...

What a great time you have all had and great places you have visited. I love the top part of NZ.

So sad about Sally but she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge

Mrs Frizz said...

Oh wow ... awesome pics ... and for someone that hasn't visited many of those places ... read here the majority of them ... it's something that I might just have to do.

The saying ... don't leave home until you've seen it, takes on a whole new meaning.