Our lovely friends from National Park were coming to visit us to see Busting Out (hilarious) and stay a few nights. I took some chicken pieces out the deep freeze on Thursday morning and put them onto a large green plastic tray in the oven safe from marauding cats. I usually leave the door open, but hubby, who goes to work after me, decided that he'd close the oven door so that the cats couldn't get in. (How they'd get in I don't know, as it's a eye-level oven and I usually have a towel and an oven mitt hanging over the door handle.)
Anyway, Ross came home and as is usual on a Thursday afternoon, turned the oven on and then started getting things ready to bake his chocolate cake. He said he was mixing and out the corner of his eye he saw a light in the oven and looking closer it was a flame! He immediately switched the oven off and left the door closed. He phoned me and I could hear the smoke alarm going. I rushed home but there was nothing for me to do other than remove this:
Oh what a mess! The chicken had to go in the bin so we went out for dinner and I got fish and chips for the boys.
8 comments:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhh at that disgusting green mess on that oven tray ... D.I.S.G.U.S.T.I.N.G. but ... it could have been a whole lot worse.
Oh shoot! bugger! As Mrs Frizz said though - it could've been worse! the smell in the house must have been awful too!
The smell in the house was awful and lingered in the oven for days. But it could have been a lot worse
Oh my goodness!
Not the first person this has happened to.
My Mum used to put the wooden spoon in the oven after washing it (taking advantage of the heat still left in the oven from cooking dinner to dry the spoon. Often she forgot about it and would turn the oven on the next day to heat up and end up with a very black and brittle wooden spoon. We went through several over the years.
Also, my brother once had a cat that could open the fridge door and get food out.
Ohh bugger!!
But yeah to Ross who makes chocolate cakes!!!!
Gack!!! Gross to clean up too!
OMG, that is funny. I'm glad Ross knew what to do.
Yes, I can imagine the horrid smell. Our old dishwasher had an exposed element and when plastic things fell on it and melt the whole kitchen stunk.
Oh dear...I know I shouldn't be laughing...phew though - you are jolly lucky that wasn't the house down in flames though {and goodbye scrappy albums - that's what I always think when I imagine a house fire LOL!} and I am still laughing at visions of how on earth your cats would actually have made it into the oven had the door actually been open ;-D And you fail to mention what DH is doing for penance...
Post a Comment