Wednesday, April 09, 2008

My Quilt

Well, here it is. It still needs a binding around the edge but it is quilted which I had done professionally and I'm so glad that I did. Every piece of fabric is representative of something in my life either current or in the past. I love it and I'm thrilled with it, but it is the last one I will do.


Third from left: a piece of fabric from my wedding dress
Second and fourth from left: Photos of the boys when they were little from a T-Shirt - I cut the T-shirt up

The crocodiles represent both a trip to Florida and the place at which we got engaged Ngwenya (meaning crocodile)

Nemo - my three boys love watching that movie and know many lines from it ...which they repeat during the movie

Tui - sings outside our bedroom window

Blue Guinea fowl and orange giraffes - tea towels that Adrian bought me at the Kruger National Park specially for me to cut up

Belle - when Ross was small his favourite story was Beauty and the Beast. When we went to Disneyland, he and I queued for quite a while to see her. She bent down to him and said, "Are you a prince?" He was five at the time

Frnagipani - our trip to Fiji and the flowers on my wedding cake

Just to the right of Belle - piece of fabric from a skirt I used to wear

Two cheetahs representing my cheetah encounter
Green spots - the dress I made and wore for the boys' christenings

Electric trains - my Dad's employment

Black and white cats paws for all the cats we've had

Dolphins - Colin's love of nature

Sports balls - sports the boys have played

Little blue penguins - the dressing gown I made Colin

Emperor penguins - our trip backstage to see the penguins at SeaWorld LA

The tartan - Colin at six months old had a cute pair of trousers I made from this fabric

The white waffle weave at the bottom right - the three dressing gowns I have made

Lots to represent South Africa and New Zealand and the green border represents the sea we crossed to get here.

There! I think I've given you all of it - if not - feel free to ask

Oh ... and if you're going to ScrapCamp I'll have it with me

13 comments:

Lara said...

love it Jenny... I wouldn't even attempt one LOL.

Lynda said...

Wow! That is stunning Jenny. Love it, you must be feeling very proud of yourself getting that done.

Sharlene Meyer said...

OMGosh Jenny that is awesome - you did a wonderful of it, and the guilting looks great too! Well done you!

Anonymous said...

It is awesome! I can just imagine this being passed through the generations!

Roo said...

Awesome quilt jenny. Wow, you did such a great job.

Beverley said...

I'm very impressed! Love how it's so meaningful too.

Monique said...

What a treasure Jenny, so much gone into it, thanks for sharing it with us!

Penny said...

Jenny that is awesome and I really like it how it's filled with meaning. A great heirloom. :)
Congratulations on getting it finished!

Mrs Frizz said...

Wow, you can definitely be proud of your quilt ... amazing. A whole lot of love and thought has gone into that.

Most impressed.

Thank you for sharing.

Shelley said...

That is absolutely stunnng Jenny!!! There are such a lot of memories in that quilt and I'm sure every time you look at it you'll be reminded of all those events and times in your life! Congrats on such a beautiful piece of work :)

Oscar T. Grouch said...

totally utterly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Jenny it is stunning! Good job on getting it finished. I have completed a queen sized quilt top, and about a third of the backing (just sewing the left over bits of fabric together). The back has taken me longer than the top! Mainly cos I've been scrapping. I must finish it though. Enjoy your lovely quilt

Ella Swan said...

Wow Jenny! I see what you mean...and now you are at it again! A bit like labour - once it is over we all swear it will be the LAST time LOL! What a treasure though hey?!