Why do people say "Oh my god? or "Christ!" etc as a term of swearing or simply just as a word to use in the same manner as teenagers use "like"? I personally find it offensive as do many others. In my religion (Christianity) that is blasphemy. Why don't these same people say "oh my Allah" or "Mohhamed!" or "Buddah!"?
I wrote to TV One and asked them the same question; they replied and said they would pass the feedback onto the newsroom etc. I have noticed that there is not quite so much blasphemy as there was. Now I wish other people would do the same
5 comments:
I happen to be of a similar opinion. People get into a habit and it's hard to break. I found it hard at MFPOW with one colleague who consistently would exclaim "Christ!" all the time. Fortunately for me she moved on....
heh heh - just remembered a billboard I saw the other day in town. One of those plain black ones. Said, "Every time you say my name I get my hopes up ~God"
I thought is was a nice way of saying, "Hey guys, listen up and have a bit of tact eh?"
:-)
I find it offensive too. What took me by surprise this week was the little 6yr old girl we had over to play. Every sentence started with "Oh my g.." Got to wonder where she got it from because I've never heard her parents talk like that. Good on you for writing to t.v 1 about it.
Like that Billboard, Penny. Bev - I tell kids like that that we don't say that in our house
I agree - it is very offensive to me. Usually I just tell the person who has said it that I'm offended and could they please not use that language around me. In 99% of the cases, they have apologised and tried very hard not to say those things.
Post a Comment