Monday, May 14, 2007

It irritates me!!

When people can't write English properly!

I read that an NZ girl got a job as the Stationary Buyer. Was she never taught that stationery has envelopes in it? And that personel has employees? And that I go to practice (noun) and do the practise (verb)? And that principal is the alpha male/female?

Not to mention their, there, they're:
That is their house
There is my car
They're going on holiday next week

And then there's your and you're: you're is an abbreviation for you are and your is a possesive determiner
This is your house
You're going to go inside it

And don't get me started on the abuse of apostrophes!

Just needed to say that!

Thanks Lynda - edited to add: "youse" as in plural of "you".
The plural of "you" is "you".
"Youse" sounds like "use" or "ewes"

9 comments:

Lynda said...

LOL Jenny, you forgot "youse" as in youse have a good day - that one really grates with me.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

I can never ever ever get apostrophes. They are beyond the scope of my brain. Is it....
Alexis bike.
Alexis' bike.
Alexis's bike.

why did I name a kid with a name to end in S.

Anonymous said...

Hmm if you practise what you preach you would write 'a NZ girl' not 'an NZ girl' wouldn't you?

Jenny said...

Actually "anonymous" you would say "an elephant" and given that pronouncing the letter "N" is "en" I would still say "an NZ girl". However, if I were saying a New Zealand girl, I would use "a" and not "an".

Neen and Mike said...

you never know who is reading... and I believe that it is a forum, a place for friendship, and not a classroom... and from time to time you may find that excited people do not stop to check something as trival as spelling.

Jenny said...

Thank you Neen for visiting here; as I don't really "know" you, I'm flattered that you took the time to visit.

I looked up some definitions of a blog and this is what I found: Blog is short for weblog. A weblog is a journal (or newsletter) that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site. The owner of the blog posts informal journals of their thoughts, comments, and philosophies, updated frequently and normally reflecting the views of the blog's creator.

And this is what I've posted - my opinion.

Neen and Mike said...

I too believe in the freedom of speech and although we have not met in reality I had still felt like I 'knew' you since meeting over a year ago on Scrap Jazz.

I felt that I needed to respond to something that I found personally hurtful, mainly when you said that I would not be able to do my job simply because of a spelling error. This was something that I was excited about and as such I wanted to share with my community of online friend. I did not expect to find myself as a topic of irritation because of it.

I thank you for editing your post to remove that section.

You are entitled to your opinions as much as I am entitled to mine. Enjoy your blogging and I will continue to visit just as I always have.

Cheryl said...

Oh heavens to besty!

And yes Jenny does know me and knows that my grammar at times is more than a little on the weak side so I am more than sure she will forgive me any grammatical or spelling errors I should make!

First up you can't go blaming Jenny if the makers of her particular model of car also can't spell! It is their right to call it whatever they choose. Don't like it? Don't buy it!

A blog to me is a place to express yourself how ever you chose to! And if Jenny choses to blog about her irritation in the nations poor grammar well that is her choice, as she mentions she is expressing her right to freedom of speech!

However I quite strongly believe that this does not give anyone a "right" to attack her opinion, it is after all her opinion and she has the right to believe in it even if you don't!

Thank you and that is me stepping off my soapbox again!

Jenny said...

Thanks for all your opinions - I've enjoyed reading them. This post is now closed for comments - anything further will be deleted. Born English - as I have no way of "visiting" you and therefore knowing who you are, your comments have been deleted.