Friday, November 17, 2006

The rest of the story

On Saturday 21st October I spent the day scrapping and when I got home Adrian noticed late in the evening that there were a lot of transactions on our credit card. We thought the transactions had been incorrectly processed to our card number but no, it was transactions on my credit card. We put a stop to it at 11.30pm that night, but I felt absolutely sick and I didn't sleep very well that night. We had to go to the police the next day (Sunday) to make a statement. The last time I used it was on the Tuesday before at the petrol station. We went and reported it on the Sunday morning and for the life of me I could not remember what had happened - I was positive I got it back and put it away after buying petrol. The sergeant promised that he would get on to it.
On the Monday afternoon (23rd October - it was a holiday here) I got a call from a policeman at Wellington Central CIB about my credit card! They found a slip for items purchased at Wellington Airport on Friday afternoon in a stolen car that they recovered. This was front page news that day : http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/0,2106,3836699a6000,00.html Later that afternoon, CIB phoned me to tell me that "she" had been arrested. I asked them to ask how "she" got my credit card. The next day Tuesday, CIB phoned me te tell me that "she" confessed: he admitted that he came into our school sat around in the staffroom chatting to people and then stole my card from my handbag! We have staff work rooms and we all keep our things there
"She" ran up a total of $1700 in four days but we don't have to pay it. It will go to court sometime in the future and he will be fined/sent to jail/whatever.
It was a dreadful feeling knowing that someone like that had been through my handbag and purse and I felt sick for the rest of that week. I'm feeling better now though

*Update*: Chapman appeared in court on Tuesday this week on 28 different charges - he pleaded not guilty to all of them!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

NOt guilty? Okay thats a stretch of anyones imagination by the look of it. Hope the he/she/it gets whats coming to them.

And very glad to hear that you won't have to pay for their wrong doings!