Saturday, April 30, 2011

Food

We had all meals booked and paid for before we left NZ which meant we didn't have to run around looking for somewhere to eat. Only some restaurants/hotels are licensed to serve western tourists. We only had Chinese meals but different from Chinese here. We sat at large round tables seating 8 - 10 people. Jasmine tea was always on the table first and then around 8 - 10 dishes and rice and soup arrived. Some dishes were nicer than others!

At a seafood lunch one day, we had lots of these little shrimps. They were supposed to be eaten whole but were very crunchy that way!

I can't remember where or when, but these little food nests were indeed tasty and served in a lettuce leaf.
One night in Si'an, we had a dumpling meal. Just little dumplings but more varieties than you can imagine and all so intricately made. All very tasty too
Celery dumplings
Duck
The second night in Si'an, we ate in "BBQ Street" - lots of BBQ restaurants. Again very tasty but soooo much food!
An example of the food we got
And more

We did get a bit sick of it and all headed to Burger King at Shanghai Airport yesterday for a burger!

5 comments:

Mel said...

Thank you so much for the food info and pictures. To me the food in foreign lands is one of the best aspects (I even like foreign supermarkets). I admire people who will try different stuff even when they're not sure what's in it.

Lainie said...

Great pics and story Jenny. Reminds me of my Mum. She loves to cook and after a month stay in Singapore a few decades ago we ate like this every week. YUM!!

Penny said...

I'm with Mel - I'm always interested in the food and supermarkets. It looks delicious.

mandyb said...

mmmm all that food is making me hungry!!! yummo

and as for all the other pics (one blog post down) wowsa!!! and NO i couldnt stand on that glass floor!!! but love the look of the blossom and that cool abacus!!! glad you had fun!!

Mrs Frizz said...

definitely a huge variety of food ... don't know that I would have coped tasting all of them ... but who knows.