- There are approximately 220,000 students attending Adult & Community Education (ACE) classes in New Zealand each year and around 2000 tutors.
- There are about 212 schools providing this kind of learning opportunity
- Many schools support local community groups who run courses for adults by allocating around 10% of the school’s funding to them
- There are more students enrolled in adult learning classes (night school) in secondary schools than there are enrolled in the day school classes
- If school funding is cut and schools decide to go on the “self-funded” path, course fees will rise significantly and tutor pay rates may fall
- NZ is unique in providing accessible ACE programmes for all people, regardless of age, gender or ethnicity. Countries that no longer provide these opportunities to their communities are regretting the loss of these accessible learning opportunities
The government has refocused ACE to align with its priorities in literacy, numeracy and foundation levels of education, and will make a small pool of funds available for ACE courses that address those priorities
This means that any "hobby" courses , sewing, computer courses, scrapbooking, jewelery making, cooking etc etc will no longer be funded. This is a tragedy as many, many people get much more out of their course than just learning a skill.
What you can do: email your MP; Anne Tolley, the Minister of Education; Bill English, the Minister of Finance (who in 2005 spoke strongly in favour of ACE in schools); Trevor Mallard, Opposition Spokesman for Education and tell them why you think this funding should not be cut. If you have been to any night school classes tell them what you got out of the class and why it's important that these classes continue. It is FREE to write to any MP. You just have to send it to FREEPOST Parliament, PO Box 18888, Wellington. If you want to e-mail or phone any of the above you will find their contact details at http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/MPP/MPs/Contact/4/c/0/00HOOOCMPPMPsContact1-Contact-list.htm. You can also download a pdf list for easy reference.
Let's not lose this very beneficial service to the community
7 comments:
Thats such a shame hope people get together & change their minds. Education is vital & it may be a skill learned that can actually help someone out of unpleasant circumstances. Sorry its my hobbyhorse - I just think its essential. In SA we have seen rural communities benefit from skills & improve lots of lives.
Hmmm...that is a shame Jenny. Not good at all.
Thanks so much for the comments you have left on my blog, sorry I have been so long getting back to you.
Cody went to his mates funneral today, very sad such a nice lad. Things like that always seem to happen to the 'nice people' dont they.:-(
Carol and I are organising a bit of a competiton at Scrapbook Studios, hope you have time to join in. Bossy scrapper just seems to have lost it's appeal since I took over!! I am tring not to dwell on that thought too much!
have a lovely weekend, and keep warm.xx
that is a shame isn't it ... but, I don't think the government will change their plans ... that's a Nat government for you ...
It is a real shame - especially when things like music etc miss out. In a recession, it would make sense to fund a variety of courses so folks can perhaps learn new skills. :(
Hmmm...very interesting & sad...of course here there is nothing like that anyway as far as I know. I did one in Zimbabwe at the Polytech years ago, long before the illegal regime that is now in power destroyed the place. It was swuch fun. I did pattern-making & ended up deciding to do a full time diploma in Fashion Design as a result, so you are so right - you never know what sparks fly off as a ramification.
This completely sucks!
In these times of recession it just seems crazy they should take funding away from something like this where people can learn to make their own clothes, restore furniture etc. etc. in order to save money, expand their minds etc.
Personally, over the years I've picked up so many skills from doing night school classes. A book binding course being the most recent.
I couldn't believe it when I first heard about this. My mum must have gone to every night class going years ago. The funding shouldn't be cut!!
Post a Comment