Tuesday, May 05, 2009

NZ Scrapbook Magazines

For the last five years, Up2Scrap has been the only NZ magazine published. Up until now, they have published a magazine four times a year, but it is now bi-monthly. Personally, I am a bit tired of all the articles being a Step 1. Cut your green paper 11" x 5" type of article. I want more than that. Maybe some articles about Using a Word document. I also like to see lots of l/os. In the last issue received yesterday, out of 24 reader submissions, 13 of them were from NZers and the rest were Aussie. Now that's okay, but I really don't think that the Aussie magazines have 46% of the reader submission from NZers! I know that NZ scrappers submit and are rejected. I must say that I get a bit tired of seeing the same style of l/o published. And I have given them my opinion for what it's worth. I am also probably their longest subscriber.

Enter Innovations to be published monthly. I am desperately awaiting my copy so that I can compare.

I am really enjoying Memory Makers Magazine at the moment - lots of different articles and lots of different style l/os

I know there are a couple of discussions going on elsewhere about the two magazines, but tell me your opinion

10 comments:

Trace said...

Haven't seen Innovations yet, so like yourself can't do a comparison. I still like to support NZ made but have to agree Jenny am finding Up2scrap a bit repetitive.

Anonymous said...

Here here, Jenny!

Guess you may have seen my comments on the forums saying exactly what your've expressed here, so we are definitely on the same page.

Am hanging out for my copy of Innovations once it arrives at my LSS.

Some had advance copies and it sounds like the editor has listened to the people and it will be something that belongs to all of us, not just the elite designers.

Irene said...

Totally agree with your comments about Up2, that is why I don't buy it anymore and to go bi monthly with the same old, not for me thanks.
Looking forward to having a look at Innovations when i go to town tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Haven't got my copy of innovations but have heard great reviews about it. But agree about Up2 scrap find it a bit repetitive as well. I used to get scrapbook memories but not anymore to many layouts from same designers. My fav at the moment is Creative Paper as I do like some step by step stuff and there is also a lot of layouts and other projects as well.

Penny said...

It's been so long since I bothered getting a scrapbook magazine that I can't really say anything ;-) But I would like to get a copy of this new one and see what the new format is like.

I like a mix of styles and a mix of project/display.

Sharlene Meyer said...

I agree about Up2Scrap Jenny! I saw the latest one in the shop today, had a quick flick through and then put it back on the shelf - not paying good money for it.

Am looking forward to getting a copy of the new one tho to see what it is like, but if it is full of the same old, same old people I won't be a regular purchaser of that either.

topkatnz said...

I have heard some really great stuff about Innovations ... sounds like it might be just what you're looking for!

Shelley said...

Lucky me! My local store had a copy available today and I've just spent the last couple of HOURS going through it! I really, really like it! There's lots to look at and lots to read! I think the team at Innovations has done themselves proud :)

Ella Swan said...

Well I don't know either of them so it's a bit difficult for me to contribute. I sub to Creating Keepsakes (USA) Scrapbook Inspirations (UK) and Scrapbooking Memories (Aus) I have never seen a NZ scrappy mag. I do see in the mags I get that layouts are sent in from people all over the world & I think that that is okay. I would have thought they just choose the best ;-D

Kelly said...

My copy is in a box still awaiting some stuff so it'll be next week before I see it.... I'm trying not to be tempted and have a quick flich through in the local store first!!
I have a feeling that U2S will need to have a big rethink on how it does things now it has competition, and in all honesty, unless it does, I just can't see it surviving much longer.