Saturday, May 09, 2009

Magazine, sales and teaching

I see Memory Makers Magazine is to cease publication after the Sept/Oct. I am very sad about this as it's a magazine I really enjoy. The reader submissions are different and show many styles; not just the same old, same old. Then I have to wonder with two US magazines going/gone and a third on very shaky ground how TWO NZ magazines will survive. On the other hand this may be good news for those magazines as people will possibly buy them

Spotlight has been having a sale of craft items and our local one has 50% more off all sale items. I got BasicGrey papers for 10 cents a piece! Thickers were $2 each and there was so much more on sale! I spent a fortune

My scrapbook teaching classes started last Wednesday and they have been so lucky as I got lots of bargains at Spotlight to give them. I have six ladies and that is a nice sized class with which to work

And we have a new family member! His name is Speckles and he is a six week old pied cockatiel! He's actually Colin's bird who has been saving his pocket money for a while now. I will take a photo in the morning ....... after I've made a Mother's Day card for my mother

8 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Wow when you guys have a sale its a SALE !!! Good for you. The magazines are probably what people decide not to buy in this recession although I must admit it seems unlikely. I am sure Colin is thrilled with Speckles & its going to be a wonderful pet.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is very brave of the people from Innovations starting a new mag in a recession. My prediction (for what its worth) is that only one NZ scrapping mag will survive, and my feeling it will be Innovations because from their first issue they are giving the people what they want.

Yay you re. your Spotlight bargains! Oh, that should be BARGAINS. 10c for BG papers, unreal!

Welcome to your new family member too :)

Trace said...

Oh that's a blow Jenny - I to am a fan of that mag.

Lainie said...

Holey Cow that is one awesome sale!! Lucky I don't live near a Spotlight then I guess...not!

I haven't seen Innovations yet but so far I've only heard good things abt it. Can't wait to see it.

Penny said...

The newspaper/magazine industry is certainly feeling the effects of the internet and the recession. It will be interesting to see how the NZ ones last.

Bargains are always good ;)

Ella Swan said...

All busy busy for you then Jenny! Sorry I have been MIA for all these posts - I have been flat out with all my DT subs & now my new layouts I need to prepare for Reminisce. Lucky girls are going to get some great treats from you - I feel in the mood for some serious scrap shopping now! ;-( As for the mags it is the same story here. I was to have my 2 finalist layouts from the SA talent search last year showcased in their next issue & of course they went bust! So no-one got to see them & I finally got them back 6 months later & damaged!!!

Lara said...

will be interesting to see how the magazine and nz scrapbooking weaves it's way through the economic times...time will tell.

Mel said...

I, too, love Memory Makers. That and Simple Scrapbooks were the first 2 scrap mags I ever purchased (did I jinx them?). Fantastic Spotlight bargains - good for you.
Hope your classes are going well - goood on you!