Last night my boy spent ages texting me to tell me he wants to come home. I know he's homesick and of course it breaks my heart. I told him that people can get homesick at any age (I did eleven years ago when we moved here) and beating it will make him a stronger person. I told him that when he starts feeling homesick (at night in bed) he should focus on good things. I also told him to think about the fun things that will happen and in no time it will be next weekend and we will be going up there.
As a mother, I just want to drive up there and hold him and hug him and bring him home but for his sake I know that won't work. Oh but is is hard!
Edited tonight: Thanks for all your compassion. He sounds happier but is still telling me he wants to come home. I said we'd talk about it next week. Much as I'd love to have him back home, I don't want him to come home because then I want him to learn through this and come out stronger at the other end
8 comments:
Oh no Jenny - that is so hard for you and him both. Aww I just wanna hug you both. Homesickness is horrible but it is still only early days and he is still doing the whole settling in thing. You did well with what you told him. Hang in there chickie. Could you get him to maybe start a journal of sorts - writing down at the end of the day all the stuff that he has done during the day- you can claim it is for your scrapbooks but it may help him have something to do to help mum out esp at night before bedtime. Oh and some rescue remedy might be a help. Sorry waffling on.
Hugs.
awww at the homesickness, you gave him some good strategies though. Are you popping up there this weekend??
Oh Jenny how hard for you, but what a wonder you are for giving him the skills and strength to work through this. Kia kaha.
Oh dear oh dear. :( It will pass for sure but it not easy for either of you.
Oh Jenny, I'm sorry to hear that.
Yes homesickness is pretty common in the quiet evenings.
You did well telling him to think of all the good things that will happen. Also good that you have experienced it as an adult so he can realise it isn't a baby thing.
Big hugs to you both.
I agree with Trace KIA KAHA - stay strong... maybe that could be a phrase you could give him as part of Maori Language week..... must be hard..... a journal sounds like a great idea... and as for you Jenny HUGE HUGS from us all.
That sounds really really tough, I know it must be hard not follow your motherly instincts but you are doing brilliantly! Keep up the encouragement, hugs!
Oh Jenny, my heart goes out to you both. You sound like such a wonderful mum! I have one child out of the three who gets home sick and its so stressfull!
Sending hugs
Post a Comment